WELCOME!!

Thanks for stopping by my little blog about knitting, reading, and cooking - 3 of my favorite things!!! I'm no expert on any of these, so input is not just welcomed, but encouraged! Now let's have a little fun!!

Friday, March 15, 2013

Chocolate "God" Cupcakes

These little bites of heaven are exactly as the name says..........YUM!!! 

This is an old family recipe that is probably all over the internet in some form or another.  I've seen several and there is always only 1 change of ingredient, but I think this one is BY far the best!!!  Funny how we get used to what we've grown up with.  The recipe is actually for a Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake, but before you gross out, remember what mayonnaise is made of...eggs, oil and sugar.  Hmmmm, this is SO much easier and I swear it's much more moist than the old chocolate cake recipe.  Another plus, this recipe appears to work perfectly at all altitudes and in both hemispheres. 

Without further ado:

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees Celcius

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons cocoa
(I also tend to add a teaspoon or so of instant coffee, just to kick up the chocolate flavor, but it's not necessary)
1 cup COLD water (this is where the recipes vary, but I find cold water works just fine)
1 cup real mayonnaise
2 teaspoons vanilla

Add all ingredients in a bowl.  Using an electric mixer, hand or stand, mix for 1 minute on a lower speed to simply get things combined, then beat for 2 minutes on a higher speed.

Pour into a 13 x 9 inch cake pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.  I usually bake mine for about 37-38 minutes because my oven seems to cook things a little faster. 
Test cake with toothpick until pick comes out clean.  Stand to cool. 

Frost with choice of frostings.  I tend to make my own with simply powdered sugar and cocoa - yum!

Ok, that's it - but now it's time to eat!!

Enjoy!!!!

***This recipe can also be used for cupcakes as it suggests in the title!!** 

No comments:

Post a Comment