WELCOME!!

Thanks for stopping by my little blog about knitting, reading, and cooking - 3 of my favorite things!!! I'm no expert on any of these, so input is not just welcomed, but encouraged! Now let's have a little fun!!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Book Recommendation: The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey



  Yes, another quick book recommendation for the day!!  I've been reading like a rock star lately, since I have a few extra minutes to do so, so here I am with yet another book recommendation.

Please note that if the book is a little older, I may not give it a full review as there will be so many out there, and if it's made the list for book recommendation, not just review, then I loved it!!  Why would I suggest you read a bad book - and yes, there are some out there!  However, this book is NOT one of those, it was a wonderful read that I highly recommend!!!

I've wanted to read this for quite some time as it always pops up on my Amazon page when I'm viewing authors I love, such as Sarah Addison Allen, Beth Hoffman, and Jennifer Donnelly.  So it's been on my TBR list for a while.  Then, when I signed up for the Autumn Book Challenge in one of my Goodreads groups, it asked that we read a book about Ireland or by an Irish Author, so now I HAD to read it right?  Well, then it seemed as if it were destined for me to do so when I pulled it up on Amazon and it was a bargain at $2.99 for the Kindle edition, so how could I go wrong.

Patricia Falvey's debut novel in The Yellow House follows a young Irish girl, Eileen.  Growing up in Northern Ireland at the turn of the century was no treat.  Times were tough, the fights were tougher and her family was all she had, that and of course, her beloved yellow house.  When Eileen was young, the money was very tight, yet her father surprised the family one day by bringing home a stash of yellow paint and got the entire family involved in painting the house.  It was as beautiful as a sunset and could be seen from a top many hills in town.  However, with the paint came troubles brewing between the Catholics and the Protestants and ultimately Eileen's family was torn apart in several ways.  She first lost her 4 year old sister to illness, which ultimately killed part of her mother; and as tensions and fighting grew, she lost the rest of her family one way or another, including the yellow house.  It is Eileen's dream to reunite all she's known of a family and live in that house once again.

Over the next 20 years, fighting escalates, she marries James and believes wholeheartedly in his cause, bears a child, and is working in a slave factory, all with the ultimate goal of returning to her beloved yellow house.  Trials and tribulations are only the beginning, but the story, heart wrenching as it may be, is told beautifully by Falvey.  I was truly transported to Ireland, and I find this book reads like a poor version of the ever so popular Downton Abbey.

If you're up for a good old Irish novel, then this is the book for you.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  And who knows, maybe it's still a deal on Amazon!!

Happy Reading!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment